- Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7
- How to set up yum repository to use locally-mounted DVD with Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) 7
- Would like to upgrade server from RHEL 7.x to RHEL 7.y
- Have a secure environment that will never be connected to the internet, but still needs to be updated
- Way to update the packages on server, with no satellite server and servers disconnected from internet
- Offline patches for Red Hat systems
- How do I create a local repository in RHEL 7?
- Once you have downloaded a DVD version of your chosen Rhel Version and copied it over to a location on your server.
Mount the RHEL installation ISO to a directory like
# mkdir -p /mnt/disc # mount -o loop RHEL7.1.iso /mnt/disc
If you use DVD media , you can mount like below.
# mkdir -p /mnt/disc # mount /dev/sr0 /mnt/disc
media.repo file from the root of the mounted directory to
/etc/yum.repos.d/ and set the permissions to
0644 or another similar permissions set:
# cp /mnt/disc/media.repo /etc/yum.repos.d/rhel7dvd.repo # chmod 644 /etc/yum.repos.d/rhel7dvd.repo
Edit the new repo file, changing the
gpgcheck=0 setting to
1 and adding the following 3 lines
vi /etc/yum.repos.d/rhel7dvd.repo enabled=1 baseurl=file:///mnt/disc/ gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-redhat-release
In the end, the new repo file could look like the following
[InstallMedia] name=DVD for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7.1 Server mediaid=1359576196.686790 metadata_expire=-1 gpgcheck=1 cost=500 enabled=1 baseurl=file:///mnt/disc/ gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-redhat-release
Clear the cache and check whether you can get the packages list from the DVD repo
# yum clean all # yum repolist enabled
- It should look like the following if no other repository is enabled.
To avoid any corruption its recommend to disable any non-redhat repositories.
# yum repolist enabled Loaded plugins: product-id, search-disabled-repos, subscription-manager This system is not registered to Red Hat Subscription Management. You can use subscription-manager to register. repo id repo name InstallMedia Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7.7 repolist: 5,229
This solution is part of Red Hat’s fast-track publication program, providing a huge library of solutions that Red Hat engineers have created while supporting our customers. To give you the knowledge you need the instant it becomes available, these articles may be presented in a raw and unedited form.